Healthier Caramel Apples/ posted in: Food
This isn’t an original recipe. I heard about it on the Rich Roll podcast episode with Chef AJ. As soon as I heard her say it I knew I had to try it.
1. Soak 1 lb of pitted dates in 1 cup of liquid overnight. I used almond milk with a splash of vanilla.
2. Combine them in a food processor until it is a smooth paste.
3. Spread on an apple. It will be very sticky so you won’t be able to put it down until you roll it in a topping.
4. Pick your topping. I used unsweetened coconut and raw cacao nibs but you can use chopped nuts too.
5. Put in a cupcake liner and keep refrigerated.
The date paste doesn’t set up hard like caramel so it was easiest for us to cut these up in a bowl and eat them. They are so rich that the husband and I shared one – and that is coming from some Rocky Mountain Chocolate Company apple lovers.