Fair Gameby Patricia Briggs
Series: Alpha and Omega #3
Narrator: Holter Graham
Published on 2012
Format: Audiobook Source: Audible, Owned
Buy on Amazon
Set in a world of shifting shapes, loyalty, and passion- brings werewolves out of the darkness and into a society where fear and prejudice could make the hunters prey. They say opposites attract. And in the case of werewolves Anna Latham and Charles Cornick, they mate. The son-and enforcer-of the leader of the North American werewolves, Charles is a dominant alpha. While Anna, an omega, has the rare ability to calm others of her kind. Nevertheless, Charles and Anna are sent to Boston, when the FBI requests the pack's help on a local serial killer case. They quickly realize that not only the last two victims were werewolves-all of them were. Someone is targeting their kind. And now Anna and Charles have put themselves right in the killer's sights.
The werewolves are out of the closet.
Now that humans know that werewolves exist, there can be no ugly incidents that can turn into a public relations nightmare.Â Bran (the leader of the North American werewolves) has increased the punishments for many offenses.Â Many of the alphas of local packs are rebelling against the harsher policies, including death sentences for several offenses by younger wolves who don’t have great control yet.Â Charles is sent in to kill when the alphas refuse.Â This is wearing on him.Â The ghosts of the wolves he has killed are following him around, attracted to his guilt.Â He has shut out his wife for fear that the ghosts might latch onto her too.
This is where the story picks up, a year after the last book.Â Anna has tried everything to convince Bran that Charles is breaking under the strain of constant executions.Â When he finally sees a bit of she has been seeing, he sends them to Boston to help the FBI track a serial killer.Â He hopes that the chance to hunt something that he doesn’t have to execute and the chance to be a good guy for once will help.
- The law enforcement officials are getting their first contact with werewolves and learning how to deal with another species.
- The public is learning too and wants to take pictures with them.
- Peter!Â There is a little dog named Peter who is not going to let the wolves anywhere near his person and acts like he is going to tear them apart.Â The werewolves think he is cute and pretty brave since he’s only 10 lbs.Â I happened to see a little dog named Peter at work the day I listened to this part.Â He was pretty tough too.
- It explains why the Fae disappear into their reservations.Â The Mercy Thompson series discusses the ramifications of this decision but not the reason for it.
- There is a really awkward sex scene.Â I’ve already established how much I hate sex scenes in audiobooks and this one was cringier than most.
- I figured going in that Anna would manage to get herself kidnapped by the bad guys but it looked like it wasn’t going to happen.Â I was happy about that.Â Then she got kidnapped.Â Seriously, how many times can this happen to one person?
- The bad guy was pretty easy to figure out this time.