Narrator: Alexandra Harris
Series: The Others #1
Genres: Fantasy, Fiction
Source: Audible, Owned
Buy on Amazon (affiliate link)
Also in this series: Murder of Crows, Marked in Flesh
No one creates realms like New York Times bestselling author Anne Bishop. Now in a thrilling new fantasy series, enter a world inhabited by the Others, unearthly entities—vampires and shape-shifters among them—who rule the Earth and whose prey are humans. As a cassandra sangue, or blood prophet, Meg Corbyn can see the future when her skin is cut—a gift that feels more like a curse. Meg's Controller keeps her enslaved so he can have full access to her visions. But when she escapes, the only safe place Meg can hide is at the Lakeside Courtyard—a business district operated by the Others. Shape-shifter Simon Wolfgard is reluctant to hire the stranger who inquires about the Human Liaison job. First, he senses she's keeping a secret, and second, she doesn't smell like human prey. Yet a stronger instinct propels him to give Meg the job. And when he learns the truth about Meg and that she's wanted by the government, he'll have to decide if she's worth the fight between humans and the Others that will surely follow.
Why You Should Love This Book
1. A werewolf and a vampire manage a bookstore.
2. A human gets a job sorting mail. I’ve always been fascinated with mail sorting. Honestly. It seems like magic to me that mail gets where it is supposed to go. I would love the job of sorting mail.
3. The Ponies! The ponies deliver the mail if they feel like it. They come and get baskets full of mail. They are described as having grumpy faces. I love grumpy-faced ponies. The human started giving them treats. More ponies come and some try to get more than their share of treats. When they think the treats aren’t as good as yesterday, they get sassy. This was every day of my life with my grumpy-faced pony.
4. The narrator has a strange combination of little girl and very soothing qualities to her voice. I want her to narrate ALL THE BOOKS!
5. The names of the stores owned by the Others are great. Howling Good Reads, A Little Bite (coffee shop), Run and Thump (gym), etc.
6. The Others can appear human but they don’t understand humans. They base their interactions off what they’ve seen in books and movies. They have to learn firsthand that things like “Is it that time of the month?” are not appropriate.
7. The wolves learn to appreciate dog beds and treats even if they don’t want to admit it.
8. The crows are gossips who don’t give correct change because they don’t want to give away shiny things.
9. Seriously, don’t mess with the ponies. Angry ponies are destructive ponies!
10. There is some great world building here. Humans are not the dominant species on the planet. They are allowed to live places through agreements with the Others and those agreements can be revoked at any time. Human cites have been wiped out when the Others are angered.