Orca Bay is the name of the mystery quilt I’m working on.  I had a slow start.  Step one was to make 225 hourglass blocks.  I wasted a day or two laughing.  Actually, 225 doesn’t sound too bad.  The directions actually said to cut 450 pairs of triangles.  That gave me giggles.

I’m totally not following the directions.  My colors are different which is a risky choice when I don’t know what the whole quilt looks like.  The hourglasses are supposed it to be black and white and I decided to subdue it a bit to grey and white.

I also made my blocks differently. Yeah, I’m a wild thing.  It all turns out the same in the end.  I ended up switching machines because I couldn’t get the tension right in my old machine.  The new machine and I had a bit of a learning curve but we have come to an agreement.

I worked on these during my Tuesday sewing time and finished up on Wednesday.  It didn’t really seem to take that long once I got a groove going.  In fact, I overachieved.  I did more than I needed because my brain was getting fried and I figured the math wrong.


It helped to have Netflix on my iPad.  It was acting up though so instead of being able to search or see my queue I could only see recommendations based on what I was watching.  I started out with Stephen Fry in America.  I like watching people from other countries explore the U.S.  It makes you see things from another perspective.  Then it recommended a documentary on the role of sex in movies.  I’m not sure how it made that cognitive leap but I watched it.  That led to a documentary about whether or not bisexuality is real.  It wasn’t that good of a film because I’m not sure what their conclusion was.  Then it gave me a 1977 documentary about gay people which was interesting mostly for the kinds of questions that were asked.  We’ve made huge advances in gay rights but in other ways it is the same ole problems for people.

Somewhere in all that I finished the 225 hourglasses and then I went for a run.  Then I started part two.  Make 78 3.5 inch foundation pieced string blocks out of blue. I got 33 strip pieced blocks out of green done. 


Still not following directions well.  I was hoping to get them all done so I’d be ready for this week’s clue on Friday.  Guess that isn’t going to happen but I got a good start on it!