This was still part of the Spring Cleaning week of enforced rest at the gym.  They offered a yoga class that morning.  I love yoga and don’t do nearly enough of it anymore so this class was a nice change of pace.


I was due for a real workout so I decided to do Murph.  This is a charity workout that happens around Memorial Day.  You can pay to do it and the money goes to charities established in the name of a man killed in Afghanistan (I think).

  • 1 mile run
  • 100 pull ups
  • 200 push ups
  • 300 squats
  • 1 mile run

This is supposed to be done while wearing a 20 lb vest to simulate armor.

I was doing this from memory so I managed to get it wrong.  That wasn’t the only thing that went wrong.  We got a new door on the back of our house.  I went out it to go for the run and tested it to make sure it was unlocked.  When I got back from the mile run, I was locked out.  I was then unhappy.  The husband was taking Z back to her mother and wouldn’t be home for hours.  It was not warm.  It turns out that the door will let you out without unlocking it and the handle will turn like it is unlocked but it will lock behind you.  The husband knew this and thought it was self-evident so he didn’t tell me.  He is of the opinion that it serves me right for trying to leave the house unlocked.

Anyway, I have a little shed outside so I started looking for what I could use to MacGuyver my way to the bedroom window which I was pretty sure was unlocked but was about 10 feet off the ground.  I had a 6 foot ladder.  There were two sawhorses and a sheet of plywood but the saw horses were way too flimsy.  I thought about using some chairs as sawhorses but they were too flimsy too.  Apparently stuff only gets put out there if it is crap.

I ended up using just the ladder and then giving myself some major pep talks.  I was pretty sure I could do it but was scared.  I knew I was going to have to jump up from the ladder to the window and I might flip the ladder when I jumped so I had to commit to it.  I also had Freckles at the window crying because what I was doing was wrong and Riley sitting on the sill getting in the way.

I ended up standing on the top of the ladder -  on the Do Not Stand Here You May Lose Your Balance step – and jumping so my front half was through the window.  Then I wiggled my way through.

An hour or so after that I decided to finish the workout.  I don’t have a pull up bar so I did lat pull downs.  I did the 200 pushups.  Then I did 300 sit ups because I didn’t remember the workout correctly.  By that time the husband was back and I was too tired to kill him.  I walked the last mile and took him with me.  I thought I was strolling but he said I was going very fast.


I did a half mile run and a half mile walk.


Our warm up required thought and coordination so obviously we screwed it all up.  There were 5 of us in class and we had 2 medicine balls.  We had to run 200 meters three times.  While we were running we had to pass the medicine ball to the person behind us.  When it got to the end, that person had to run to the front.  That’s all well and good until you have to turn around and go back.  Now, logic says that you just make a curving turn and keep going but it was early and we didn’t have logic.  We would just stop and turn around and then we’d get all out of order and flummoxed.

The strengths were situps.  We had to do 8 seconds down and 8 seconds up for 3 sets of 11.  (Remember the 300 situps two days ago?  Ouch.)  Between sets we did hamstring raises.  You get on your knees and a partner holds your feet.  Lean forward and then come back up on an eight count.  That is harder than it sounds.  You can only go forward a few inches.

The workout was 10 rounds of:

  • 100 meter run
  • 7 pull ups – I do modified jumping pull ups.
  • 21 push ups (Remember the 200 push ups two days ago?  Ouch again.)

There was a 15 minute time cap.  I did 5 full rounds and got the run and one pull up done.